Shh! Silence Helps Homophobia – asks people to stand up and speak out against homophobia! This campaign will run through all of LGBT Youth Scotland's Education activities for 2014-15.
Central to this campaign is the Shh! Silence helps homophobia film, which has been funded by the Fife Cultural Partnerships Fund. The original ideas for the film were created by the Fife LGBT Youth group, 'Flavours of Fife', who then expanded the concept into a script and thereafter received funding to enable the full production of the script into a short film, which is now being rolled out nationally as part of LGBT Youth Scotland's Education Campaign.
The film takes you through a young persons experience of homophobia at school, asking us 'what could be done differently'?
Watch the full film here:
STAND UP, SPEAK OUT
The film gives us the clear message that doing nothing fuels homophobia - Shh! Silence helps homophobia asks us to stand up, speak out. The film is ultimately a call to action and shows us that we can all make a difference in an LGBT young persons life, we can challenge homophobia when we see it and refuse to stay silent.
The Shh! Campaign sits alongside our National Youth Council’s Time for T.E.A campaign which specifically looks at the need for awareness raising around transgender young people and the specific issues affecting their lives within Education.
69% of LGBT young people experience homophobic or biphobic bullying and 14% leave school as a result (Life in Scotland for LGBT Young People: Education Report 2012, LGBT Youth Scotland). View our education report HERE
Our Silence Helps Homophobia posters, which were supported by Youth in Action of the European Union, feature images captured from across Scotland during the summer of 2014.
LGBT Youth Scotland needs your help to enable us to take this campaign out to young people and communities, and deliver important work in schools to support LGBT young people who are experiencing homophobic, biphobic or transphobic bullying.
ACTIONS YOU CAN TAKE TO SUPPORT THE CAMPAIGN
- Submit your photo or video pledge here or via Facebook or Twitter. We have created an 'I wont stay silent because...' template to help you with this. Use hashtags #Shh and #Iwontstaysilent
- Add the Shh! Twibbon to your profile photo on Facebook and Twitter
- Update your cover photo on Facebook and Twitter with the Shh! coverphoto
- Tell friends, family, school teachers, colleagues, everyone you know about the campaign!
- Get in touch to arrange a workshop or training for your school
Check out our Shh! campaign photo pledge album on Facebook HERE
STAND UP, SPEAK OUT, SPEAD THE WORD
- Post about the campaign on your Facebook and Twitter timelines
- Share the link to this crowdfund campaign with friends on Facebook and Twitter – post it on people’s timelines, send it to them in a private message!
- Share the information about our campaign with young people and professionals in your school and workplace - ask them to take these actions!
Volunteer your skills to the campaign
Get in touch to contribute your time and skills to the campaign: email@example.com
- Read our press release about Shh! campiagn crowdfund launch.
- Read STV's report on the campaign and our first Annual Youth Summit
- Read Liam Beattie's piece about Coming Out Day and our Shh campaign