‘Dealing with Homophobia and Homophobic Bullying in Scottish Schools’ is a Toolkit designed to support teachers in recognising, challenging, and effectively reducing homophobia and homophobic bullying in their schools. The resource, funded by the Scottish Government and developed by LGBT Youth Scotland in partnership with Learning and Teaching Scotland (now Education Scotland), and was distributed to all secondary schools and local authorities in 2009.
The Toolkit was piloted in five secondary schools in East Lothian, Falkirk, Edinburgh, the Scottish Borders and Dumfries and Galloway and the content is based on research carried out in over 200 Scottish Schools.
"Using the toolkit has made young people aware that staff take homophobic bullying seriously and that they are available and willing to talk to young people about it. It gives the message that homophobic attitudes and behaviour have no place in the school."
Guidance Teacher, Pilot School
The toolkit addresses a range of areas:
· The Key Issues Issues facing LGBT young people, defining homophobia and homophobic bullying and understanding its impact
· Questions and Answers Responses to questions on homophobic bullying, gender stereotypes, transgender young people and transphobia, discussing LGBT issues and supporting LGBT young people
· Including Homophobia and Homophobic Bullying in School Policy Inclusive anti-bullying policies, an anti-bullying policy ‘health check’ and raising awareness of policy
· Practical Guidance Guidance in areas such as challenging homophobia, the use of language, recording and monitoring incidents, confidentiality, information sharing and involving parents and carers in anti-homophobia work
· Suggestions of Good Practice A range of ways to kick start anti-homophobia work in schools including ways in which to raise awareness of LGBT issues in the school and wider community
· Further Resources, Glossary of terms and further useful resources and contacts
Download a copy of our Toolkit by going to our resources page.
A range of Cross-Curricular Lesson Plans were developed to complement the Toolkit for third, fourth and senior phases of Curriculum for Excellence.
These lesson plans are not intended to be prescriptive but to support teachers to challenge and deal with the issue of homophobia confidently and sensitively and contribute to the development of the four capacities in young people. The lesson plans cover a range of topics and fit with subjects including English, History, Religious Education, Modern Studies and Personal and Social Education, key topics covered include:
· Homophobic Bullying
If you have any questions regarding advice, information and resource for schools please email us by clicking here