Community Capacity Building in Lothian’s
Join us for a special event to mark LGBT History Month 2014
Past, Present, Future in Midlothian - LGBT History Month 2014
Please join us for a prestigious cultural evening of speakers, dance, music, art and refreshments at the National Mining Museum in Midlothian.
This celebration will bring together communities to increase awareness of different identities and cultures. Featuring key note speakers, the Loud and Proud Choir, West African Dance and the Columcille Ceilidh Band .
Friday 28th February, 5-10.00pm
National Mining Museum Scotland, Lady Victoria Colliery, Newtongrange, EH22 4QN
The event is FREE, you can book online at https://lgbtyouth.wufoo.com/forms/past-present-and-future/ or by contacting us at any of the following (T) 0131 556 0441 (E) email@example.com or Ann.firstname.lastname@example.org (T) 0131 555 3940
If you are travelling from Edinburgh we have a bus leaving LGBT Youth Scotland, 40 Commercial Street, Edinburgh EH6 6JD at 4.45pm and returning at 9.30pm (This is free!)
If you would like to attend please register here https://lgbtyouth.wufoo.com/forms/past-present-and-future/
LGBT Developments Across Lothian
LGBT Youth Scotland is looking to work with organisations across the Lothian’s to increase the confidence of staff within services to ensure that LGBT staff and stakeholders receive a safe and inclusive service.
Outcomes for this work include:
- A new LGBT network / development group for professional services (including the local authorities, NHS, police and third sector organisations)
- Professionals across Lothian’s will have increased knowledge, confidence, awareness and skills in tackling LGBT issues and a greater awareness about engaging and working with LGBT people through participation in community events, forum meetings, and information exchanges
- Ensuring services have a route for consultation with the local LGBT community and that community members have a route for engagement with local policymakers and services.
- Sourcing local funding to support two young people from each area to become representatives on the LGBT National Youth Council
- Supporting agencies to go through the LGBT Charter of Rights https://www.lgbtyouth.org.uk/charter
The Community Capacity Building Project:
- works alongside local LGBT communities so that they become more visible in their local areas and get the right support to participate in local decision-making structures;
- Works alongside services in local areas to better recognise the needs and experiences of LGBT people living there;
- Supports the development of services for LGBT young people on a national level, working towards the outcomes within the Curriculum for Excellence.
- The project has a strong emphasis on partnership working with our national partners as well as partners at a local level: partnerships locally which are aligned with the GIRFEC model for supporting young people.
We will provide a free full days training as part of the National Learning Network on East, Mid or West Lothian. We will also provide an LGBT awareness training session to a group or network. This work will also provide opportunities to meet obligations under the Equality Act 2010, and provide an opportunity for those individuals working on a local level forum or network, to be skilled up to a higher level.
The National Learning Network was held at Brunton Theatre, Musselburgh, East Lothian, EH21 6AA on Tuesday 26th November. 10.00-4.00pm
The National Learning Network provides an opportunity for staff and volunteers across Scotland to access free taster sessions, advice and support, and a chance to share and develop best practice, increase partnership working and to better link their work to the LGBT Charter of Rights.
For the programme of the day click here
For evaluation please click here
From 2.30-4.00pm there was the first LGBT Development Group which was an opportunity for strategic and operational staff to meet to look at the vision of the Lothian’s to better integrate with LGBT Communities in line with the Equality Act (2010)
For minutes from the first Lothian LGBT Development Group click here
The next Lothian LGBT Development Group
Tuesday 28th January 10am-12.30pm at The Civic Centre, Civic Centre, Howden South Road, Livingston, West Lothian, EH54 6FF. Hosted by Kenny Selbie
Tel: 0131 555 3940